|This is an archive of a former Wikipedia article.|
Tropical Depression Gener was designated as a Tropical Depression by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) and the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA); however, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) recorded Gener as being an area of low pressure. Early on July 4, PAGASA reported that Tropical Depression Gener had formed to the west of Luzon, as it moved slowly towards the west, it was designated as a tropical disturbance by the JTWC, with the JMA reporting that Gener was just an area of low pressure. The next day PAGASA issued their final advisory on Gener as it moved out of PAGASA’s Area of Responsibility; however, it was not classified as a Tropical Depression by the JMA until July 7 when they reported that Gener had become a minor Tropical Depression while it was located about 185 kilometres (115 miles), to the southeast of Hong Kong. Later that day Gener made landfall to the east of Hong Kong and dissipated early the next day.
On July 4, 2008, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), reported that Tropical Depression Gener formed in the South China Sea to the west of the Philippines. The system had deep convection persisting on the western side of its developing low level circulation center, although it was in an area of moderate wind shear, and rapid development was not expected. On July 7, Gener left the PAGASA area of responsibility. The Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) issued a Tropical Cyclone Formation Alert on July 7 as the circulation strengthened, despite the convection being disorganized due to the shear. Later that day the JMA reported that the system become a minor Tropical Depression, although the Hong Kong Observatory (HKO) did not follow suit. The system rapidly weakened as it moved ashore on China to the east of Hong Kong. Early on July 8 the JMA issued their last advisory on the depression.
Preparations and impact
The precursor area Gener moved through Luzon, causing no damage and producing Template:Convert/mm of rain in the Ilocos Region. There was no damage reported in China, although the system produced heavy rainfall in Guangdong Province.
- ↑ "PAGASA Advisory 04-07-08 03z". Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration. 2008-07-04. http://www.webcitation.org/5Z3M2lIdZ. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (2009-01-19). "Typhoon Committee 41st Session: Member Report:PAGASA" (PDF). World Meteorological Organisation. http://www.typhooncommittee.org/41st/docs/TC2_MemberReport2008_PHILIPPINES1.pdf. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "JTWC ABPW10 04-07-2008 06z". Joint Typhoon Warning Center. 2008-07-04. ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/pub/weather/tropical/GuamStuff/2008070406-ABPW.PGTW. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ "PAGASA Advisory 05-07-08 03z". Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration. 2008-07-05. http://www.webcitation.org/5Z4nDyV53. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ "Tropical Cyclone Formation Alert 07-07-2008 06z". Joint Typhoon Warning Center. 2008-07-07. ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/pub/weather/tropical/GuamStuff/2008070701-WTPN.PGTW. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ "JMA WWJP25 Advisory 07-07-2008 06z". Japan Meteorological Agency. 2008-07-07. ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/pub/weather/tropical/Tokyo/2008070706.RJTD. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 C Y Lam (2008-07-09). "HKO Directors Blog: Knowledge brings worry". Hong Kong Observatory. http://www.webcitation.org/5ffwgWbc2. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- ↑ "Tropical Cyclone Formation Alert Cancelation". Joint Typhoon Warning Center. 2008-07-06. http://www.webcitation.org/5Z8rWI4n9. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ "JMA WWJP25 Advisory 08-07-2008 00z". Japan Meteorological Agency. 2008-07-08. ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/pub/weather/tropical/Tokyo/2008070800.RJTD. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ "Weather Advisory" (PDF). National Disaster Coordinating Council. 2008-07-04. Archived from the original on 2011-05-30. http://web.archive.org/web/20110530004923/http://22.214.171.124/ndccWeb/images/ndccWeb/ndcc_advisory/1.%20swb%20no.2%20re%20td%20gener,%202.%20gen%20flood%20advisory%20regions%201,10,12,%20caraga%20&%20armm.pdf. Retrieved 2009-07-04.